Sunday, December 13, 2009

Mommy's Future Cake Artist

This is just a quick little post.  My sweet little Teeter Bees came into the kitchen while I was working on a cake that is due tomorrow.  You can see pictures of it on my cake blog. Anyway, she came into the kitchen and watched my every move as I crumb coated the cake.  With every stroke of my spatula she would cry out "oh mama!  It's beautiful!"  Then I started rolling out fondant and she left the kitchen.  Not a minute later she comes running back into the kitchen with something in tow.  She had run to her play kitchen a located her tiny rolling pin.


My heart was already warm when she looked up at me with her big blue eyes.  She said "Mama, can I help?" In her sweet little munchkin voice that I love so much.  How could I possibly say no?  I had rolled most of the fondant out so I let her climb up on the chair and do a little rolling.  She was very understanding when I was ready to get the fondant on the cake before it dried out.  I balled up the scraps and let her roll it out and cut it with cookie cutters.  She was so in her element, as was I.  It is how I imagine I would have spent an afternoon with my mother's father, had I ever got to meet him.  From what I have heard, he too was an excellent cake maker. During World War II he made the birthday cake for the Admiral of the Navy. He was in the paper for it and everything.  My mom said that my Granny told her his cakes were beautiful.  I wish I could have seen them. I like to believe that he is with me whenever I am working on a difficult cake; telling me just what to do. We had a excellent afternoon cake making.  Thank you Teeter Bees.


No comments:

Post a Comment